Brooke's Bandwagon

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2 posters

New Blog: writing songs is hard

brookesbiggestfan
    brookesbiggestfan
    Superstar
    Superstar

New Blog: writing songs is hard Empty New Blog: writing songs is hard

Post by brookesbiggestfan April 10th 2009, 11:31 am

So I woke up this morning, feeling pretty lazy actually, realizing that I had a major day ahead of me, I just couldn't get myself motivated. I would definitely consider myself a morning person, I love getting up early and getting the day started... well, not today:) So I just stayed there in bed for a while, snuggled up in my covers, watched a little bit of the today show... but could I really relax... well of course not, I don't really do "relax"... even when I'm "relaxing" it's pretty much not happening, it's like pretend relaxing, why? Good question... I'm just an intense gal, what can I say, can't slow down the noggin', always creating... kinda drive myself up the wall with it... I gotta remind myself "just calm down lady", again, not overly effective, but hey I'm tryin'.

So anywho, so as I was laying there, I started humming a melody, almost subconsiously, when I realized "hey that's good, you should record that", so I reached over grabbed my iphone and recorded the idea, then I thought, "you know, you really should get out of bed and go sit at the keyboard and start working this out"... I kinda whined about it and thought, "is it really that good? like good enough to get out of bed for"... finally I kicked the covers off in a rather irritated fashion... and I stumbled over to the keyboard, and started working on the idea. Well the idea was alright, not great... HOWEVER that idea lead me to ANOTHER idea that was great, that gave me that feeling... the "this is really good" feeling. Just one little problem, though the music came to me with ease, and the melody dictated itself to me in an inspired way... I couldn't seem to spit out a single lyric that seemed to match up with emotion that the music was giving me. So I keep going through it, over and over again, hoping that the heart would tell the head the words and then they would just spill from my lips and sound right. No luck,okay, so slam on the breaks, frustration, writing stinks, I'm a terrible songwriter and I give up... just kidding, obviously that is extreme and immature, but I was feeling a little impatient and stuck, so I decided to clean my house:) Worked on it tonight for a few hours, still not happenin'...

Well it's my belief that it's gonna be a great song, I think it's just testing my patience at the moment, so I'm holding out. Contrary to what most would think, lyrics are actually the hardest part, well for me, because they need to feel sincere, even when the story isn't necessarily my own. But you know it all feels personal to me, and I want it to be right, plus I like to rhyme:)

Moral of the story, writing songs is hard. There are those few rare and special times you write a song in it's entirety in about 15-20 minutes, but it's not common, well not for me. And many will say "the best songs are written in 15 minutes", and though, yes there is some truth to that, it is not an absolute, a good song is a good song, no matter how long it took to write it. And those few precious times that you are able to write a smash in a few minutes can cause one to feel a bit lazy and then grow to expect a perfectly inspired song written in less time than it takes to toast a pop tart, but you know sometimes you just gotta put the time in, and work it out. I wish I was more prolific, but I'll take what I can get, and then just work for the rest:) And there is my rant for the evening! Today was a crazy day, I won't get into it, it was a good day, just busy, things are happening... wheels are in motion

I know that the "type" is white on this blog right now and difficult to read, but I am still in the studio and my laptop won't let me go into edit mode... but I will fix tomorrow at home when I get about 30 seconds:)

Back to listening mode... goodnight!! Hope you're day was super duper!

Wub Wub Wub Wub Wub Wub Wub Wub
    GeeWindu
    GeeWindu
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

New Blog: writing songs is hard Empty Re: New Blog: writing songs is hard

Post by GeeWindu April 11th 2009, 4:49 am

Brooke is amazing haha. Love the whole blog about songwriting. She was just finding another way for me to get distracted from my school I know LOL!!
    brookesbiggestfan
    brookesbiggestfan
    Superstar
    Superstar

Post by brookesbiggestfan April 11th 2009, 10:42 am

Haha, I always stop whatever i'm doing to read her blogs. so much more interesting!!
    GeeWindu
    GeeWindu
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

Post by GeeWindu April 12th 2009, 2:42 am

Yes isn't it though. She can be long-winded but she is so cute and funny in how she describes things. I love her blogs haha New Blog: writing songs is hard 851899
    brookesbiggestfan
    brookesbiggestfan
    Superstar
    Superstar

Post by brookesbiggestfan April 12th 2009, 7:28 pm

ditto.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is April 28th 2024, 3:38 pm